Excuses We Hear For Positive Drug Tests- 28 Aug
Working in the drug testing industry, we’ve heard a lot of excuses over the years for why a drug test is showing up positive. Our trusted lab partners have definitely heard their fair share as well. We read Quest Diagnostic’s article on the many excuses they’ve seen over the years and felt we had to share them along with a few of our own.
If you Google “how to pass a drug test”, there are blogs, videos, recipes, products and outrageous methods published on how to avoid getting that positive drug test result. We published an article a couple weeks ago about synthetic urine which seems to be an increasingly popular method for trying to cheat the system. However with our trusted lab partners here at Blueline Services, the system can’t be beat so easily. Yet time and time again these would-be-cheaters are surprised when their tests still yield positive results. So like our friends at Quest Diagnostics, we too have heard some of the following excuses:
- “Would having dreams about using meth activate the enzymes in my body that showed on the drug test?”
- “I was eating ‘generic brand’ of ice cream and it’s well known that they put THC in it.”
- “I was having sex with my boyfriend and he was high at the time. That’s how the cocaine got into my system.”
- “There’s no way I can be positive for marijuana. I only do cocaine.”
- “It must have been something I ate.”
- “I kissed my boyfriend after he smoked a joint.”
- “My dentist gave me something strong for a sore tooth.”
- “I ate a lot of poppy seed muffins for breakfast.”
- “I failed because of second-hand marijuana smoke.”
- “I take all-natural supplements and some ingredients aren’t listed.”
- “My mom has a valid prescription for that drug.”
- “Perhaps drugs are in the lotion or shampoo I use.”
- “I don’t know how that bottle of urine got in my purse.”
- “There must have been a mix-up with the specimens.”
- “Can I take a retest? I attended a party over the weekend but I don’t use often.”
- “My mom has cancer. I was making her mashed potatoes and the butter had THC in it. I had to keep trying the potatoes until it was how she liked it.”
- “My dog ate my cocaine and then licked my face.”
- “I was growing tomatoes next to marijuana plants in my garden. I only ate the tomatoes so they must have cross pollinated.”
If you’re experiencing issues with drug use or drug test cheating within your company. Here are a couple things that Quest recommended to help you alleviate those issues:
- Always drug test at your company and have a testing policy in place. Habitual drug users will often avoid applying at companies who have a clear drug testing policy.
- Consider oral fluid or hair drug tests. These methods are done with observed collections which make them more difficult to cheat.
- Trust a reputable collection site. Trained professional collectors who thoroughly understand the drug testing process will help you avoid missteps or problems during the testing process.
- Add specimen validity testing to your testing program. This additional level of testing is performed within the lab and can help ensure the integrity of urine test results by measuring pH, creatinine, and specific gravity, and screening for adulterants.
If you have any further questions on the drug testing process and how to avoid issues within your company, give us a call! We’d be happy to help. Also, if you have any good excuse stories of your own to share, send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org