The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a major increase in substance abuse across the US. This, along with marijuana legalization and growing access to drugs, means that substance use will continue to rise. Even if you forgot everything you learned from Breaking Bad, we’ve got you covered.
The need for drug testing has never been more crucial…and employer liability only increases as society becomes more casual in the acceptance of drug abuse.
Now we may not be as laid back as our friends up north who are handing out free drugs to everyone, but more and more places in the US are legalizing drugs. The CDC reported in June 2020 that 13% of adults, age 18 and older, started or increased their substance use as a result of the pandemic. This means that 33.6 million adults began using illicit drugs to cope with emotions related to COVID-19. ODMAP, an overdose reporting system, found that 62% of US counties experienced increased drug overdoses due to the pandemic.
To keep your workplace safe, productive, and drug-free, knowing all your drug testing options is essential. Common drug test types include urine, saliva, and hair testing.
What Should I Test For?
It is essential to know which drugs to screen for. Some commonly abused drugs are:
- Narcotics: includes heroin, fentanyl, morphine, opium, methadone
- Depressants: includes benzodiazepines, barbiturates, methaqualone, quaaludes
- Stimulants: includes cocaine, amphetamines, methylphenidate, methamphetamine
- Hallucinogens: common “club drugs” such as ecstasy, LSD, phencyclidine
- Cannabis: includes marijuana, THC, hashish
- Synthetics: includes spice, bath salts, anabolic steroids
Types Of Testing Available
It is also essential to review your company policy to ensure all your drug testing needs are being met. Blueline offers many different testing options. Our most popular tests are:
- 5 Panel: includes amphetamines, cocaine, marijuana, opiates, and phencyclidine
- 7 Panel: consists of all 5-panel drugs, plus barbiturates and benzodiazepines
- 9 Panel: consists of all 7-panel drugs, plus barbiturates propoxyphene
- 10 Panel: includes all 9-panel drugs, plus methadone and methaqualone
- Popular Add-ons: tramadol, meperidine, fentanyl, spice, bath salts
Knowing which drugs to screen for can be tricky. Luckily, Blueline can help you navigate the right testing configuration for your organization and the proper drug testing policy catered specifically to your needs.