Why breaking up with your screening provider may be the thing to do- 21 Dec
Everyone has heard the old break up line, “it’s not you, it’s me.” But we all know what that really means. And even if it is just them, as with any break-up it can be crucial not to cut ties in such a way that could negatively impact your future. Contracts, future relationships, and potential business impacts are important things to consider when breaking up with your background screening provider.
Let us help make it easier with a few simple steps.
First of all, figure out what is going wrong with your current relationship.
What is going well and what isn’t? Because background checks do play such a vital role in your business’s success, your background screening provider becomes crucial as well.
There can be many different reasons for wanting to “break up” with your current provider:
- They aren’t legally compliant. Working with an FCRA-compliant background screening provider is so important to save yourself a lot of time, money and headaches.
- You just want different things. You have different needs.
- Their customer service was dismal. This may be much more important than you think. New employees are going to work with your employment screener often long before they really get to know your company. You want that provider to give a good overall impression of your company.
- Difficult to use their services. HR reps are busy and if your providers services aren’t simple and straightforward it could create a serious slowdown in your hiring process.
- Unreliable service. Worrying about your screening provider’s reliability is the last thing you need. You need accurate and detailed results fast.
Step two: Find the right background screening provider for you.
Well you’ve figured out what you don’t want in a background check, so now it’s time to figure out what you do want.
To make things as easy and efficient as possible for you and your HR team you’ll want to make sure that you get a provider that can provide the best solutions for your company as quickly, accurately and in-depth as possible.
Our National Plus Search here at Blueline Services is largely favored by many of our customers because it is the most powerful and comprehensive multi-jurisdictional search available. It is virtually instant, provides you with millions of accessible records, and is very cost effective. All necessary qualities to save you and your HR team from a serious headache.
Step three: Break up with your current provider.
As with any break up, it is important to try to execute the break up as cordially as possible while still being clear about your intentions and making sure there aren’t any questions or loose ends left.
- Your termination terms should be clearly defined in the contract. Read over your vendor contract. They should provide a clear process for termination including advance notice requirements, penalties, and managing data transfer. If not, contact your provider to clearly understand all of these terms.
- Invite your legal department into the process to make sure that everything runs as smoothly as possible and protect both parties. Your legal department should read and reform any legal documents beginning for your new background screening provider and help with the old provider termination process.
- Set up a clear timeline with both parties. Clearly plan out when data and information will be transferred to the new background screening provider from your current provider to insure easy integration. Make sure both parties understand and consent to this timeline.
Step four: Transition into working with your new provider.
- Promote the new provider. Make sure your HR team helps support the integration of the new background screening provider internally. Helping employees understand the benefits of the new provider will ease the transition.
- Talk to your new provider. You should have clearly laid out your expectations as well as researched your new provider in earlier steps. But speaking with someone on your new team can help make sure that everything flows as smoothly as possible.
We understand the importance of having a truly reliable, efficient and accessible screening provider. And we want to help make your life as easy as possible. Breaking up with your screening provider may be just the thing to do if you’re not getting what you need.
Give us a call at 888-919-8378 to learn more.